Saturday 9 November 2013

Cheers to the teenage years!


At age 13 I started high school- they without a doubt, were the best years of my life. 
School camps, dance competitions, high achievements and life long friends.  
Unfortunately I only got to spend 3 years in high school before getting 
exempt by doctors. My time in school was up. 

I was suffering from severe hymoptysis; the expectoration of blood from both of my lungs. 
I spent 39 days in hospital - 5 days in the intensive care unit. I was 15 years old and I knew my life was all about to change. The hymoptysis continued daily for 7 months straight, with every cough there would be some kind of amount of blood.  This would be one of the scariest years of my life. 
In October of 2008, I was operated on to stop the bleeding, an embolization.
It was successful for 6 months - when - I started to have small amounts of blood in my sputum. 

In 2009 I enrolled in TAFE. 
Achieved my school certificate equivalent and also my business certificates I, II and III. 
In 2010 I went on to complete my business diploma - fitting all my studies in between hospital admissions, 3-4 times per year, each being for 2-3 weeks at a time. 
In 2011, I decided on a career change - childcare - but it only took me 
4 agonising months to realise that not only was this career path making me sick,
I also had a boss who couldn't support my terminal illness. 
I enrolled back in TAFE, July of 2011 and once again, another career path,.
Nail Technology, certificate III - completed with flying colours. 
It was around this time that I had my first love, who broke my heart 14 months later. 
In 2012, I transitioned from the Children's hospital at Westmead 
to the Westmead adults hospital and then to Royal Prince Alfred in Camperdown 
- where I still receive my treatment.

While my transition was happening, I had celebrated my 18th birthday and 
I was still studying, but this time I went for something bigger and better. 
Diploma of Beauty Therapy - Completed with flying colours. 
Partying, clubbing, friends and family.
Life couldn't get much better then this! 

Morgan & I. 

No comments:

Post a Comment